Select Page

Where can you find help Paying Bills in Austin Texas?

Appealing for benefits is best done under the guidance of an experienced disability lawyer.

A directory of financial assistance resources available in Austin Texas.

Author Attorney Lloyd Bemis:

At one time or another, anyone can be surprised by an emergency or unexpected expense. It might be an unplanned auto or home repair, or a sudden injury or illness. Such an expense cuts into the average person’s budget, but may have a devastating impact on a individual who is disabled or a family with a low income. In the Austin/Travis County area there are several resources for people who need short-term financial assistance to pay for utilities, rent and medical and dental care.

Help paying bills in Austin Texas

In the Austin/Travis County area there are several resources for people who need short-term financial assistance to pay for utilities, rent and medical and dental care.

Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing assistance program.

Federal funds from the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing assistance program is provided to five local charities and non-profit organizations to help families with rent or utility bills.

Organizations which have received funds are:

  •    LifeWorks Youth and Family Alliance – (512)-735-2100
  •   Catholic Charities of Central Texas – (512) 651-6100
  •   Caritas of Austin (Pilot Program) – (512) 479-4610
  •   Caritas of Austin – (512) 479-4610
  •   Any Baby Can – (512) 454-3743

Aid is temporary and not long-term, consisting of 3-18 months of rent assistance.

These organizations may also help with security and utility deposits, moving expenses and motel vouchers.

City of Austin.

To assist customers with electric and water bills, the City of Austin offers a Deferred Payment Arrangement Option for customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bills.

Customers pay 25% of their account balance as a deposit and the remainder of the bill is paid over six months. Additionally, Austin Energy has partnered with local churches and nonprofit organizations to help customers who cannot pay their bills due to emergencies. Through the Plus 1 Program, nonprofits screen customers for eligibility and arrange for funding. To request a payment deferment or more information about the Plus-1 Program, contact the City of Austin at (512) 494-9400.

There are a variety of other government agencies, churches and nonprofit organizations who provide financial assistance in the greater Austin area.

These organizations provide help with rent, mortgage payments, utility bills, medical care, food and clothing. If you need short term financial assistance, below is a listing of resources providing help.

Travis County Health & Human Services and Veterans Service.

Has locations in Austin, Jonestown, Del Valle, Manor and Pflugerville. Provides assistance in the form of rent, gas (including propane and firewood) and electric payments, mortgages, home loans, prescriptions, grocery sore vouchers, and out-of-town bus tickets.

  •   100 N. I-35 Suite 1000, Austin, Texas 78701. (512) 854-4120
  •   18649 FM 1431 Suite 6A, Jonestown, TX 78645. (512) 267-3245
  •   3518 FM 973, Del Valle, TX 78617. (512) 247-4407
  •   600 W. Carrie Manor St., Manor, Texas 78653. (512) 272-5561
  •   15822 Foothill Farms Loop, Pflugerville, Texas 78660. (512) 251-4168

If you have been denied disability don’t give up! Contact a Disability lawyer at 512-454-4000 for a free consultation and get the benefits you deserve.

Austin Texas Salvation Army.

Provides assistance with rent, utilities and medical expenses. Also operates an employment services center. (512) 476-1111

Austin Advocacy Outreach.

Provides security deposits and moving expenses for the homeless. Also provides grants for rent and energy bills. (512) 281-4180).

St. Vincent de Paul Societies.

Located at several Catholic churches in Austin. Provides assistance with utilities, mortgages, security deposits and rent. Also provides limited health care and vouchers for food, clothing and furniture purchased at St. Vincent de Paul thrift stores.

All Saints Episcopal Church

Provides limited financial assistance for rent and utility bills, medical care and out-of-town bus tickets. Also distributes HEB gift cards and Capitol Metro bus passes. (512) 476-3589

University Presbyterian Church.

Provides limited financial assistance with rent, security deposits and other bills. (512) 476-5321.

St. Matthews Episcopal Church.

Provides financial assistance for rent and utilities, but cannot help with closed utility accounts. (512) 345-8314

Master’s Hand.

Provides emergency financial assistance with rent, electric, gas and water bills. Serves only five clients per month, once every six months. (512) 832-7811

Texas National Guard Family Support Foundation.

Offers support to National Guard members and families. Provides assistance with rent, mortgage payments, utility bills, auto loans, and medical expenses. (512) 782-6953

HUD Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH).

Operated by Central Texas Veterans Health Care system. Provides rent subsidies for veterans through vouchers based on income and family size. (512) 823-4000.

No matter what your personal situation is, financial assistance is available to both individuals and families from a variety of organizations.

Churches, charities and government agencies are available and willing to help people who are struggling, whether they are disabled, senior citizens, immigrants, Spanish speakers, or they simply need a hand.

best social security disability lawyer
Disability benefits are an important source of income for those who are unable to work. If you not able to work due to accident or illness, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability or Long Term Disability benefits. If you have applied for benefits and been denied, contact the attorneys at Bemis, Roach and Reed for a free consultation. Call 512-454-4000 and get help NOW.

Email us at:

download disability guide

top disability attorney



5 star disability lawyers

"Words can not truly express the gratitude that I feel toward Mr. Lonnie Roach and his professional team. I give them an A+++. Very compassionate and prompt. Their priorities are first and foremost helping you succeed at your case. When you feel helpless, feeling like someone is on your side can mean the world to you. Thank you for working for the people."
-Amy K.

Attorney Lloyd BemisAuthor: Attorney Lloyd Bemis has been practicing law for over 35 years. He is Superlawyers rated by Thomson Reuters and is Top AV Preeminent® and Client Champion Gold rated by Martindale Hubbell. Through his extensive litigation Mr. Bemis obtained dual board certifications from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Lloyd is admitted to practice in the United States District Court - all Texas Districts and has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit. Mr. Bemis is a member of the Travis County Bar Association. He has been active in the American Association for Justice and is a past Director of the Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Bemis and all the members of Bemis, Roach & Reed have been active participants in the Travis County Lawyer referral service.

Superlawyers award 10 years

attorney client gold award

board certified lawyer

Your Free Initial Consultation

At Bemis, Roach and Reed, if we can't help you, we will try to find the right attorneys for you.

We offer each of our prospective clients a free no obligation one hour phone or office consultation to see if we can help you and if you are comfortable with us. We know how difficult a time like this can be and how hard the decisions are. If we can be of assistance to you and help you find a solution to your issue we will even if that means referring you to another attorney.

top SSDI attorneys

Or simply call
to schedule your
Free Consultation

Let's get you Started:

If you could provide us with some basic information about your claim we will get right back with you with a free case evaluation and schedule your Free Consultation Today.

You can also email us at:

Call now for a FREE initial consultation